Friday, November 20, 2009

Indian Vest









Today was an adventurous day. I don't know if you have figured out or not , but I CRINGE when it comes time to do teacher directed crafts. Today we made indian vest to go with our headdresses and next week will will string colored macaroni for necklaces. Teacher directed crafts may look a little prettier than the normal art pieces you get home that are random pieces of things stuck together with a HUGE amount of glue and then painted.. but they are a real time sucker for me. The children did work on the vest in small groups today but it took 2 and a half hours to get them all completed. By the time everyone has had a turn, I think of the many interactions I missed and stories I could have been reading. Oh well..... sometimes we just have to. :)

Randy cut a pineapple open today with a new cutter we got from pampered chef. Incase you are wondering it really does work. You have to decapitate the pineapple first but then it works just like an apple corer. The kiddos will sample that fresh pineapple this afternoon.

Moon sand.. oh how they love it. Ellen, Anna's mom, brought me a recipe for homemade moon sand. I am going to try it and if it works, I will post it for you!


4 comments:

  1. Your pictures are great!! Yes, teacher directed crafts can be extremely time consuming... but I bet they loved their vests!! And remember you got to spend some one-on-one time with those small groups too, my kids love to have me to themselves to work on projects sometimes!! They say, "Miss Michelle is mine right now, you have to wait your turn." It is wonderful to be loved :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes "my" kids say, "It's my turn with Miss Michelle right now, you have to wait your turn!" when we do our few teacher directed crafts. We get to talk, laugh, and create together. I find it to be a time where we can discuss differnt ways of doing things... even if it is time consuming... I am sure your kids loved having you to themselves today!!! And I am pretty sure they loved their vests too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hadn't thought of that view of teacher directed crafts, Michelle. That gives me something to think about. Debbie, does the pineapple thingy take a lot of strength? Our kids love fresh pineapple.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are right Michelle and there is also the assessment of follwong two step directions etc... but it can really get hectic ! I had a thought too... why do I have them do them all in one day? Maybe splitting it into two days will make a difference !

    Rita, Randy did it but it didnt seem too hard...

    ReplyDelete